Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Good Luck Will Rub Off When I Shake 'ands With You



Haste. Smoke. Lights. Fire.

A chimney sweep.

The first word that popped into my mind when I saw the chimney inspector at our door was eccentric. He was wearing a black top hat with a peacock feather sticking out. When I answered the door, he gave a little child wave and greeted me as if he knew me. The way he talked with me made me wonder if he was extremely friendly or lonely. He had a large silver ring with something green and green shamrocks on it located on the ring finger of his left hand. He made conversation easily enough whilst he did his work as I was awkwardly stood around. As he left, he shook my hand, reminding me that it's good luck to shake a chimney sweeper's hand. As he left, echoes of Chim Chim Cher-ee played through my head; "Good luck will rub off when I shake 'ands with you."

Let's backtrack.

It most often takes lift-threatening events to initiate change. For me, it was yesterday: the second chimney fire we've encountered. The first was five or six years ago. Mostly I remember tons of smoke as my parents put the fire out themselves. We smelled like smoke for a couple days. Or the other major thing I recall was that I got called into the office near Valentine's Day because the drug dogs sniffed out my Creosote ridden winter jacket. I had a picture of Ryan Ross in my backpack that I was embarrassed about the principal seeing. It wasn't indecent or anything, just a random picture of a guy on computer paper.

I'll gloss over the details of that.

Life values.

Something in me handled the situation of fire at our house this year well. When I was informed of the fire, there wasn't much I felt the need to preserve. Sure, I'd like to save everything, but I didn't feel too attached to anything. There'd be items I'd miss, irreplaceable photos, journals, toys, and then, of course, the memories that accompany some of the items. I'm fairly certain everyone has played the "If your house was on fire, what object(s) would you save?" game. I don't have a big list as many items are replaceable. Why worry? You don't need objects to make you happy. People were put on this earth so all would not be lonely.

America has become markedly materialistic. The emphasis we place on having "things" is striking. Elementary through high school is all about image and what you own.

People are clouded by looking to the future instead of focusing on the present. "You never know what you got until it's gone." People are always saying appreciate what you have, and people listen...for the moment. But they have that tendency to forget it after a good night of sleep. Adaptation and advances in technology contribute to us confusing our standard of living and always expecting more. It is good to learn how to live from the past. Time was actually enjoyed and not ultimately dictated by the numbers on a watch or cell-phone.

Make life beautiful and enjoy every minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment